May 19, 2009

Flying

Here's a page I did for a little challenge over at Vintage Plum. I already bragged on them a little about their kits here, but I don't think I've told you about all of the amazing challenges they have. We all know I'm a challenge junkie, and other than the special Plum Star Search they have going on right now, they also have a weekly challenge, a monthly challenge, and a monthly guest designer spot challenge. The only one you have to use their kits for is the monthly challenge, so go check the other ones out!

Here's the page that I made for last week's weekly challenge to use your scraps:


I used not only scrap paper, left-over rub-ons and packaging, but also scrap fabric left over from my quilt. I was amazed at how much waste there is in quilting. My mom thought I was crazy that I put every little scrap into a bag to take home with me. See Mom? I'll use it!

I cut out the letters in the patterned paper freehand with a craft knife and adhered the fabric to the back of the layout. I then sewed swoopy circles around the letters, careful not to sew at the same spot as the adhesive because it gets the needle stuck or gunky. I drew lightly around the letters to make it look like I sewed around them because I'm not that good with my machine yet. The "F" is done differently, as I cut the letter from the fabric, put it ontop of the die cut paper, and then stitiched around the letter. I did this so the whole word would stand out more.

No comments: